The town of Cloncurry was put on the map being the birthplace of the Royal Flying Doctor’s Service. The John Flynn Place Museum and Art Gallery celebrates an era when aviation and radio united the Outback, and the Royal Flying Doctors Service provided a welcome health service for its residents.
Learn about Arthur Affleck, the first flying doctor pilot, and his story about how he hired a single-engine timber and material plane from Qantas for the first Royal Doctors flight.
The Museum and Art Gallery was opened in 1988 during the Australian Bicentenary celebrations. Funds for the building were raised throughout Australia by the ‘Flynn of the Inland Fund’.
The ‘Radio Gallery’ is a tribute to the amazing work of Alfred Traeger, the inventive genius who gave a voice to Outback Australia, through the pedal radio.
A valuable art collection is on display in the Fred McKay Art Gallery which has a variety of impressive historic artwork that captures McKay’s days as a Boundary Rider.
The museum also encompasses the work of Allan Vickers, who joined the Aerial Medical Service of the Presbyterian Australian Inland Mission, and in 1931-34 was a medical superintendent in Cloncurry.
Take a stroll around the gardens, a relaxing spot to wander and view the Cloister of Plaques commemorating the life and work of pioneer radio engineers and radio operators, the original flying doctors, the first aerial medical pilots and early patrol padres.
For more visit the website HERE
King Street, Corner of Daintree Street, Cloncurry, Cloncurry Area, Queensland 4824
Phone: +61 7 4742 4153